Categories: Movie

Netflix, HBO, BBC and Showmax removes “racially discriminatory and insensitive content”

Streaming services like Netflix, HBO Max and BBC iPlayer have all this week removed content from their platforms that are racially discriminatory and insensitive.

That move follows the death of George Floyd, a 46-year-old black American who was pinned to the ground on May 25 in Minneapolis.

According to The Guardian , Netflix has removed the TV series The Mighty Boosh and The League of Gentlemen due to white actors’ racist interpretations of black characters – so-called “blackface”. According to the BBC, the comedy series Little Britain was scrapped on Netflix and BBC iPlayer for the same reason, while Variety reported four controversial comedy shows by Australian comedian Chris Lilley also “quietly” disappeared from Netflix.

A spokeswoman for HBO Max told Variety that the 1939 movie Gone with the Wind was removed from their platform due to numerous racial bias in the text and racial stereotypes found in the movie. The movie, which was awarded eight Oscars – including the best co-star for Hattie McDaniel, the first black person to win an Oscar – will apparently be available again on the platform later, along with a conversation that sets the historical context of the movie and expose racist depictions in it.

Netflix, meanwhile, has also put together a #BlackLivesMatter collection on its platform that summarizes content with the “powerful and intricate narratives of black people’s experiences”.

The showmax streaming service is currently reviewing at least six Leon Schuster films in its catalog for content that may be “racially insensitive”.

The streaming service pending this review earlier this week has already removed six Schuster films as a “precautionary measure”.

Leave a Comment
Share

Recent Posts

Ace Magashule’s son buy R2 Million BMW after scoring COVID-19 tender

Ace Magashule's son who received a Covid-19 tender from the Free State government, apparently bought…

2 days ago

Daughter of NDZ and Jacob Zuma considered for the board of NYDA

Thuthukile Zuma is one of seven shortlisted candidates being considered for the new board of…

3 days ago

Emergency purchases of PPEs stopped due to corruption

Emergency purchases of all personal protective equipment (PPEs) "will be urgently stopped due to the…

4 days ago

Farm attackers with ‘Government vehicle’ caught trying to attack couple on farm, one committed suicide

Four farm attackers posing as government officials gained access to a couple's farm in the…

5 days ago

America warns “ISIS is a threat to Southern Africa”

The United States has warned of Islamic State (ISIS) activities in northern Mozambique and believes…

5 days ago

Zimbabwe embassy hits back at EFF over remarks of white farmer compensation

The Zimbabwean embassy in South Africa says it has taken note with "total disbelief" of…

6 days ago