The application of the legal team of the Zondo commission to sue Jacob Zuma will be heard on October 9 at 09:00, Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo ruled on Monday morning.
Zondo, chairman of the commission investigating Zuma’s presidency, made the announcement when the day’s session began.
Zuma would have testified further before the commission this week.
However, he informed the commission through his legal representatives that he did not have enough time to prepare.
“The commission does not negotiate the dates with witnesses. The commission sets the dates and if the witnesses have a good reason not to appear, they can ask for an adjournment. But we will not negotiate with witnesses on dates. “
According to the Zondo commission, Zuma’s representatives said that he did not have enough time to prepare.
Zondo said he did not want to comment at this stage on Zuma’s reasons why he would not appear before the commission this week.
In order for the commission to make optimal use of its time, plans were changed and evidence that would actually only be heard later this year was brought forward.
Earlier, it was reported that Eric Mabuza, Zuma’s legal representative, had said people should be given time to prepare, and Zuma and his legal team were not prepared. He argued that the commission never provided them with the dates on which Zuma was to appear again and he set out the problems in a letter to the commission.
Zuma should also have testified at the end of last year between 11 and 15 November, but he used illness as a reason why he would not be able to attend the session.