Naledi Pandor, Minister of International Relations says that although the country has been at level 1 of the lockdown for some time now, time was needed to figure out the finer details of international travel.
International travel will resume on October 1 for business and some leisure trips.
According to her, the criteria of the World Health Organization first had to be looked at to decide to and from which countries travel could be resumed.
“The WHO has high and medium risk categories and we also had to look at it.”
It has been decided that countries with worse infection and mortality rates than South Africa will be considered high-risk countries.
Those with figures similar to or slightly higher than South Africa’s are medium risk and those with much lower figures are low risk countries.
According to Pandor, the 35 border posts that were closed so far at the time of the pandemic will remain closed.
Pandor says if travelers arrive in the country and show symptoms, they should be tested here.
Motsoaledi says some of the high-risk countries are Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Russia, St. Petersburg. Martin, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, Ukraine, Britain, America, and Venezuela.
Motsoaledi says other high-risk countries are the Dominican Republic, France, Georgia, Gibraltar, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Italy, Israel, Iraq, Jamaica, Kuwait, Lebanon, Luxembourg. Mexico, Monaco, the Netherlands, Macedonia, Oman, Palestine, and Portugal.
Motsoaledi says the Department of Home Affairs is also now resuming applications for ID cards and passports for all.
Mthembu says the ban only applies to people from those countries who want to come on holiday in South Africa.
People from these countries can visit the country for business, cultural and other purposes.
Pandor says the high-risk countries’ status will be reviewed every two weeks.
Chinese nationals will be allowed to travel to South Africa.