Connect with us

Politics

DA loses court battle to keep beaches open

Published

on

On Tuesday, the DA said that it took note that the court had rejected its application against the closure of beaches on the Garden Route.

In response, DA leader John Steenhuisen expressed his disappointment with the ruling of the High Court in Cape Town but welcomed the fact that beaches could remain open from 06:00 to 19:00, compared to 09:00 to 18:00 previously.

“The DA is deeply concerned that the closure of the Garden Route’s beaches during the festive season will have far-reaching and devastating consequences for the local economy and for the livelihoods of those who depend on seasonal tourism.”

Steenhuisen said in a statement on Tuesday afternoon that the court decision was a setback for thousands of small businesses in the Western Cape district, “which is now in danger of collapsing.”

He says the DA will continue to fight to maintain a balance between protecting lives and food in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

Comments

Trending

Copyright © 2020 SA Updates